Antwerp, City
1693. A geographical dictionary representing the present and ancient names by Edmund Bohun.
Antwerp, Anversa, called by the French, Anvers; by the Germans, Antorf, is a City of the Low Countries in the Dukedom of Brabant, upon the River Scheld. It is a large and beautiful City, and was about 100 years since, the most populous and best traded City in all those Provinces; and in 1559. was made a Bishops See, by Paul IV. In 1569. the Duke de Alva built here a strong Castle. In 1576. the Hollanders plundred it. In 1585. the Duke of Parma reduc'd it under the Dominion of the Spaniard again, in whose hands it now is: but all these Mutations, and the building of Forts upon the River by the Hollanders, has reduced much of its antient Glory, and it is now decaying. Abraham Ortelius, a learned Geographer, who was born here, has described this City at large, as also Lewis Guicciardin, in his Description of the Low Countries. It stands 10 Miles from Ghant, and as many from Brussels.
1694. The great historical, geographical and poetical dictionary by Louis Moreri.
Antwerpi, Lat. Antwerpia, Antwerpen by the Natives, by the Italians Anversa, vulgarly Antwerp, is a City of Brabant in the Spanish Netherlands, the Capital of the Marquisate of the Holy Empire, with a Bishops See under the Archbishop of Malines. Some derive the name of this City from Hant a Hand, and Werpen to throw away, for that before Caesars coming into Gaul, a certain Gyant whose name was Antigonus, kept in a Castle upon the Scheld, demanding of such as pass'd by, half of what they carried about 'em, which if they in the least refus'd, he cut off their Right Hands, and threw 'em into the River. This City was formerly one of the Richest and most Beautiful of the whole World, seated in a spacious Plain upon the right side of the Scheld, where the River divides the Dutchy of Brabant from the County of Flanders. It was enlarged by John I. John III. and Charles V. it contains 212 Streets, and 22 publick Piazza's. The Houses are all neat and fashionable, and many of them magnificent. In a word, all the Structures both Sacred and Prophane admirable. Our Lady's Church the Cathedral is a Piece of incomparable Workmanship, it's above 500 foot long, 240 broad, and 340 high, contains 66 Chappels, embellish'd with Marble Pillars, all different in shape, and adorn'd with lovely Pictures as well as the Body of the Church. The Tower is one of the highest and fairest of Europe, built of white Stone, wherein are 33 large Bells. The chief Doors are Cas'd with Marble, and gilt with Gold. This fine Church was almost burnt to the Ground in the year 1533, and after that pillag'd during the Civil Wars for Religion. It was erected into a Cathedral by Paul IV. in the year 1559. There are 4 other Parish Churches, viz. St. George, St. James, St. Andrew, and St. Malburge, besides a great number of other fair Churches belonging to Religious Houses, amongst which the Jesuits Church is very magnificent; it's paved with Marble on the 2 lower sides one above another, which are supported by 56 Marble Columns; the 4 Roofs are hung with 38 large Pictures in Gold Frames, and the Wall pierced with 40 cross Windows lin'd with Marble. The chief Altar is all of Marble, Jasper, Porphyre, and Gold. Our Ladies Chappel is no less considerable, the Pavement, Sides, and Vaults are all Marble. It's 50 Chappels, the Portail, and Jesuits House deserve to be seen. The Town House consists of 4 large Apartments, and the Easterlings House, the Exchange, and the Galleries that surround it, are worthy of consideration. The Cittadel, one of the strongest, and most regular, is of a Pentagon Figure, with 5 Bastions that defend one another, well Terrassed, with large and deep Moats. It encloses two little Hills that give a prospect all over the Countrey. This Citadel was built in the year 1567 by the Duke of Alva, the Design drawn by Paccotti the famous Architect of Urbin. The City lies 18 Leagues from the Sea, between Malines, Louvain, Brussels, and Bruges, the Harbour is very lovely, and most convenient, there being no less then 8 Canals for Ships to come up by to the City, in the chiefest of which a 100 may ride together. There are 74 Bridges upon these Canals, all which Conveniencies brought a great Trade to the Town. It suffered much in the Revolt of the Low-Countreys from the Spaniards, who plundered it 3 days together, burnt above 600 Houses, and kill'd and drown'd 10000 of the Inhabitants. The Confederates repair'd it, but it was after that retaken by the Prince of Parma, after a years Siege, memorable in Modern History for the many Machines and Devices us'd in it; and has since recover'd much of its former beauty, though the Neighbourhood of Amsterdam has deprived it of the greatest part of her Trade. There are 25 Colledges, Nunneries, and Religious Houses. The Jesuits Treasure is valued Two Millions. Long. 25. 51. Lat. 41. 16. Guichardin description de pais bas.